Trustee Scholarship Program – Faculty Adviser Perspectives

Grove City College’s Trustee Scholarship Program is more than just a competitive scholarship offered to 24 incoming freshmen. It’s an opportunity for enhanced learning and growth as students engage in rich discussion, research, and cultural experiences with fellow scholars in their cohort and faculty cohort advisers who help shape them into wise and well-rounded leaders of the highest character.

We asked a couple of those faculty advisers for their perspectives on the Trustee Scholarship Program, and this is what they shared:

Dr. Devin Stauff, Biology

• As a faculty mentor, how do you specifically strive to influence and inspire students in your Trustee cohort? Many of my best interactions with my Trustee cohort have been on our during-the-semester outings. My favorite outings have included a trip to the Frank Lloyd Wright house Falling Water and a dessert reception at President McNulty’s house. During these outings, I try to get to know the students on a personal level if I can – a chance to see them in action outside of the classroom. This is especially important when it comes to the students that are outside of my department, students whom I would probably not have a chance to interact with otherwise. Also, across the years I have tried to accommodate as many biology or chemistry majors who are Trustee Scholars into my research lab (if they are interested). Several of these have been absolutely fantastic in this setting, and their experience in the lab has propelled them into quality graduate schools and medical schools. This is one way in which I try to support the students in the Trustee Scholars Program.

• How have students in your Trustee cohort influenced or inspired you as a professor and person? One way that many of the students in the cohort have inspired me is by allowing me to see just how accomplished, mature, and personable they are. It never ceases to amaze me that we at Grove City are able to recruit so many wonderful people and play a role in their development from high school students to college students and beyond. One of the things that I really look forward to in the future is seeing them come back as alumni – I enjoy these interactions with all of my students.

• Why should a prospective student consider applying for the Trustee Scholarship? To me, the Trustee Scholarship Program is one of the most well developed, carefully thought-out programs out there for prospective college students who are interested in genuinely pursuing excellence. If you are accepted into the program, you will find yourself among a group of really incredible fellow students who will help you grow and mature in ways that will, upon reflection later in life, prove to be indispensable. At the same time, I appreciate that the Trustee Scholarship Program at Grove City intentionally steers away from ‘over-programming’ – that is, requiring so much from the students involved in the program that they have trouble finding time for their own interests (many of which are reasons that they were accepted into the program to begin with!). In other words, I think we do a good job of balancing the need to enrich the education of the Trustee Scholars without burdening them with too many additional responsibilities and time commitments associated with the program.

• Why should a prospective student consider applying to Grove City College in general? In general, I really do think that Grove City College is a fantastic place to come to for a quality college education. Many of our students appreciate our balance between a ‘small college’ feel and the quality opportunities that are available here. And finally, just to brag about the students a bit, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had employers who have hired Grove City students declare how impressed they have been with our graduates when they compare them with graduates from other institutions. To me, this suggests that Grove City College is doing a good job at not only educating our students, but also helping them develop into mature, conscientious individuals who are prepared to do well once they graduate.

Dr. Rebecca Harmon, French

• As a faculty mentor, how do you specifically strive to influence and inspire students in your Trustee cohort? I strive to inspire all my students in similar ways. With the Trustee cohort, they’re strong students so I can push them a little further and raise their sights to more distant horizons, as they can aspire to things that are not necessarily within every student’s reach.

• How have students in your Trustee cohort influenced or inspired you as a professor and person? It’s exciting and encouraging to engage with curious, competent individuals. Interactions with my Trustee cohort are refreshing, because they’re not limited to one class or one discipline; we discuss major life questions and important knowledge in all sorts of fields (music, art, science, theology, etc.).

• Why should a prospective student consider applying for the Trustee Scholarship? Participation in the Trustee Program is life changing. It heightens the value students get from their college experience through careful collaborations and intentional networking throughout their four years and with peers and professors across campus. The application experience is valuable even for students who don’t receive the scholarships. The process involves thinking through who you are, what gifts God has given you, and how you might develop them in college. It helps frame the college experience from the outset, planning for the future from day one. But it also prompts applicants to look not just at the degree at the end, but at all that is possible between convocation and commencement. The application process gives students practice at understanding and presenting themselves, and also at beginning to make connections with fellow students and faculty members as the young professionals they are already becoming.

• Why should a prospective student consider applying to Grove City College in general? In short, cuz we’re awesome.

If you’re eager to be mentored by exceptional faculty who are passionate about holistic growth and the life of the mind, then apply for the Trustee Scholarship! To be considered, fill out the Trustee questionnaire and submit your resume and application for admission by November 10.

We wish you the best!

, , ,