macbook-1526449_960_720

Undecided? It’s Okay

As a high school senior, I felt a lot of pressure to know exactly what I wanted to do with my life – it seemed like I needed to know where I wanted to go to college, my intended major, and what I would do after graduation. The only problem was that I could not figure out any of these impending questions. I had no clue where I wanted to go or my desired major. The whole process was so stressful and I wanted to give up. However, I was able to figure it out, and Grove City made it easy for me to discover my route. Below is my journey in how I discovered the right major for myself:

gcc shieldStarting out: Undecided

Once I was accepted into Grove City College, the next decision I had to choose was my major. I honestly had no clue. After getting advice from my parents and mentors that I trusted, I ended up starting my freshman year as Undecided. I appreciated that I did not feel judged but accepted for not knowing exactly what I wanted to pursue  in the future. They gave me an adviser, and came alongside me in the decision making process. One day, the chair of the liberal arts department even gave the undecided students a pep talk and some practical advice on choosing the right major.

Major 1: International Business

Once I was in some exploratory classes for a few weeks, I had a better idea of what I liked. I wanted to make a choice that would help me discover my true calling for the next four years. Luckily, it is not difficult to change your major, add a minor, or even add/drop a class. The goal of the College is to help students discover their calling, while making the process as easy as possible. So I decided to try International Business. I liked the opportunities and I interests gravitate towards international work.

The Right Major: Entrepreneurship

Undecided Major Studied Abroad

I even had the opportunity to study abroad in the Spring of my sophomore year!

Although I really enjoyed some of the classes I took in the Business Department, it did not feel right for me. Again, after some soul searching, prayer, and advice seeking I landed in the Entrepreneurship Department. I decided this in the summer right before sophomore year began. I was able to contact my new adviser and even talk with him over the phone before returning to school. He helped me handle all of the paperwork, and made the transition easy. The best news – I love my major!! It is a great fit for me.

The best common quality among the professors at Grove City is that they all want you to succeed. I am able to go visit with professors, ask them questions about a class, and leave feeling encouraged and cared about. Professors here look to make an investment in each student so they leave feeling prepared and equipped to do the work they have been called to do. So do not worry about coming to Grove City and having all those questions unanswered. It is easy to figure it out here!

,