Alex and I graduation day 2014

5 Reasons to Live with a High School Friend Freshman Year

Alex Heiman and I have been best friends ever since an 8th grade health class at Penn Middle School. The teacher assigned seats for the duration of the semster, and all of our mutual friends were on the other side of the room. Soon enough, we began to talk and get to know each other. Quickly, we became very close friends. Alex and I continued this friendship in high school, and graduated together in 2014.

In December of our senior year in high school, I was accepted to Grove City College and planned on attending the College in the fall. At this point, Alex was leaning towards attending Penn State University. However, in the spring, Alex’s plans changed and she decided Grove City College was the place for her. Alex proposed that we room together our freshman year at Grove City College. Originally, I was very hesitant about this idea. However, in the end, I decided that I wanted to live with her. If you are considering living with someone you know from high school I hope that you will think about it, it might be for the best. I loved rooming with Alex and do not regret the decision at all, even though I was hesitant at first. Here are five reasons why living with someone you know can make for a good decision freshman year.

1. You know them and their habits
    One reason to live with someone you already know is that you are already aware of their habits. For example, coming to college I knew that Alex stays up late, like me. This can be very helpful especially if you are a procrastinator and anticipate late nights every once in a while. It is nice to know your roommate will understand and give you grace.
  2. Trust
    Another pro to living with someone you know already is the trust you have already established. You know that you trust the person you are living with. This can greatly impact your rooming experience. You know you can be transparent about something you’re struggling with, and this makes for a more comfortable living environment.
  3. Easier to talk to
    Going along with trust, another good reason to live with a friend from high school is that some conversations are just easier to have. For me (a very non confrontational person), it was easy to remind her to take out the trash, or clean up a little, because I knew her well.
  4. Good way to start college
    It was nice to know someone coming into college, in the midst of all the adjustments and changes. I knew that Alex and I would continue to be friends. It was nice to come back to my room at the end of the day and be greeted by someone in my corner.
  5. You will make friends
    One of my biggest hesitations about rooming with Alex was my worry that I would not make as many friends because I roomed with someone I knew. This was not the case. Because Alex and I were involved in different activities on campus, we were able to meet different people, and then come together with the friends we had made and meet more than we would have on our own. Overall, living with a high school friend was a the right decision for me, and a great experience. Not only did it provide a comfortable living environment, but Alex and my friendship grew even more. It might be worth considering rooming with a friend for your freshman year!