When You’ve Reached the Block

tudy

In recent years, friends have asked me what the work load is like at Grove City. My brief response is that it is challenging, but not all consuming. Sometimes the simple solution is to just push through. Nights of writers block, lack of motivation, and tiredness will come. But in the midst of it all, I pray that you find peace.

Friends will encourage you, that wall blocking your thought process will eventually leave, and late night food/coffee runs to the Student Union will brighten your spirits. But as you prepare for/begin to face those times, here are a few thoughts on the matter:

When You’ve Reached the Block:

Have you ever experienced the block? The moment you sit down intending to complete a job and you hit a wall? … A tall, thick, immovable wall.

Yup.

I am well acquainted with this feeling and it always seems to come at the worst time. But in my short years immersed in collegiate studies I discovered a helpful tip. Don’t stop. Too simple? Allow me to explain.

I often want to throw in the towel, crawl under a blanket, and forget about all the work ahead of me. Netflix calls my name and taking a nap sounds just about perfect. But when I reach that wall, I’ve tried something new. I just keep going. I pull out some paper and doodle, write, sing, plan, anything that might inspire something bigger.

So next time you find yourself in that rut, grab another cup of coffee (or tea if that’s your style), and just do it.

Writing?

Forget the introduction. We often labor over the perfect opening so long that we lose our passion for the body. Start typing those thoughts and organize them later. One time I wrote an entire page of nonsense until the ideas started pouring in.

Research for added inspiration. Have a conversation with a friend about your topic. Take notes. You’ll make it, I promise.

Studying?

Pick one topic and learn it well. You do not need to tackle it all at the same time. You can pace yourself. Start somewhere. Often times I find myself procrastinating, because I’m hesitant to begin the process. Maybe I think I’ll fail and just throw in the towel too soon or maybe I don’t understand the content. Whatever you’re facing, don’t hold back. Go to your professor’s office hours, study with a friend, or change your location to a more inspiring place. The most harmful thing you can do is to quit too soon.

So pull out your notes and settle in. You’ve got this!

As you’re considering how to manage your time, remember to breath! It will come together. And you don’t have to do it alone. Grove City has a beautiful community of people who are eager to come alongside and encourage you through!

All the best 🙂