Archibald1718

Diving: Sam Archibald

Sam Archibald

History Major

Class of 2018

What is your favorite diving memory?
Going to Calvin junior year, it was an adventure because the bus broke down and we explored Lowes for a couple hours. We got to dive against some really great divers, it was a lot about enjoying the experience. I made friends but I smacked on my back 1½ .5 and became the most popular kid there.

What is unique about Grove City’s diving team?
We know how to have fun. We may not be the most competitive team, but we definitely enjoy the sport and reach out to the other dive teams and get to know them. We do hot tub talks, where we have random life discussions in the middle of practice. We do diving truth of dare which involves challenging other teammates to do crazy things to build camaraderie. It’s a weird relationship because diving brings out your fears and insecurities compared to other sports, but it takes your teammates be really supportive and you have a lot of fun.

What should a prospective diver know about the program?
If they are debating trying out for the team, definitely come! It is probably different from your diving team. The team is very relaxed and even more fun. You will be busy no matter what, but at least give it a try.

How was the program different from what you thought it would be coming in as a prospective athlete?
I didn’t know what to except because I didn’t dive until college, I thought it would be likes swimming. It is a very mental sport I enjoy it more than I thought.

What has your diving experience been like over the past four years and how did diving affect your collegiate experience?
Diving has taught me from practical relationships to faith. Diving is nice because it is a structured, forced break from studying, you get that energy out, and you get to hang out with a great group of people. It has taught me that some sacrifices are definitely worth it both in time and effort. I’ve learned relationships matter and that’s what you’ll remember in 20 years.