Grove City Weight Platform

Facilities: The Grove City Free Weight Room

If you are anything like me, you will probably spend your first few days at Grove City College wondering when the gym will open, since you can feel your body getting weaker every second that you are not working out. Okay, maybe you do not feel like that, but maybe some info on Grove City’s weight rooms might help so you have an idea of what to expect after arriving to college. I will be covering the free weight room in this post, but, if you are into mechanical weights, there will be another post about that later.

First things first, the Grove City weight facility is split into two different rooms: a free weight room and a mechanical weight room. Of these two, the latter is often praised as better than the former, but over time I have learned to appreciate the Grove City free weight room because of the following three reasons:

1. Weight Racks

If you have some free weight experience, you know that weight racks are a hot commodity in every gym. A typical gym will have different types of weight racks meant for different exercises, such as squatting or pressing. Instead of having individual specialized weight racks, Grove City has eight squat racks with movable benches. This means that not only can you perform squats, but you can press and deadlift in the same rack, and since there are eight racks there is almost always one open. As if that was not enough, the weight room also has two Olympic lifting platforms as well.

2. Older Equipment (some of it)

This one might sound strange, but hear me out. Yes, older equipment is seen as a con by some people, but let me tell you, there is a great advantage to having older equipment. That advantage is the ability to bail and drop weights without feeling like you are damaging new equipment. All the weights in the free weight room can be dropped and no one will look at you twice. This is much better than trying to save face and hurting yourself in the process.

3. The weight room is free for students

Enough said.

I hope this article helped provide some insight into some key features of the Grove City College free weight room. If you have not tried weightlifting, I urge you to give it a shot. I hope to see you there!