Finding Your Values at GCC

When transitioning into college life, it can be difficult to figure out who you are as an individual. You have spent your whole life following your parents’ lead and maybe kind of going through the motions, but at college, you will be challenged to formulate your own opinions and views. This is a great thing, and a natural progression, but that does not mean it is not scary.

Coming to Grove City, I was challenged both in my faith, but also views on politics and life. I came from a Christian high school, so I thought that I would have a pretty easy transition into college life since it is very similar, but that was not the case at all. Living on your own you are forced to make decisions for yourself, and you do not have to let anyone know what you are doing. I had a difficult transition period coming into school because I never really thought about who I was, but luckily the people here are so helpful and care about you.

For some people, the mandatory chapel can seem like something that is not fun or intriguing, but it can actually help you make your faith your own and make that next step in your life. Also, the professors at GCC care about your well-being and your academic performance so much that they will reach out and make sure that you are doing okay. I grew up in a home where we went to church all the time, and I was not exposed to any differing views religiously or politically at all. College was the first time when I was exposed to differing opinions, and I did not have the knowledge to back up anything I believed in. But being at Grove City is different in the sense that everyone is willing to have these difficult conversations with you and walk with you through this challenging time because they are all going through the same thing. It is challenging and may seem very daunting, but do not be discouraged.

You do not have to have everything figured out before you get to school, because there will be a lot of people in the same boat as you and that is a great thing because that means you can form meaningful relationships with people while building your faith and opinions all at the same time. There are plenty of groups and organizations on campus that can help you form your own views, and also there are so many clubs that you can join once you have decided what you are interested in. Grove City is a great place where you can form your own views and build unbreakable bonds.