Internship Spotlight: Reagan Georges

Reagan GeorgesReagan Georges ’16, Marketing Management major and Art minor from Bolton, CT. She interned with New Britain Museum of American Art.

1. Where did you intern last summer and what was your position title

I interned at the New Britain Museum of American Art in New Britain, CT. I was a curatorial intern which means I assisted the curator of the museum in writing and research projects. The museum was doubling in size over the summer, so it was the perfect time to intern!

1. How did you secure your internship?

It sounds a little crazy, but I actually found my internship on Internships.com. I have worked in the Grove City College Pew Fine Arts gallery for several years helping stage exhibits and giving tours, so I was interested in working for a larger gallery or museum. I applied to the New Britain Museum of Art, interviewed and eventually accepted the position of curatorial intern.

1. What are some of the top things you learned while interning?

My internship taught me a lot, but the main thing I was able to do was improve my writing and research skills. As a business major, I have learned how to be a good communicator and this internship allowed me to apply all that I have learned in a real business context. I researched acquisitions and traveling exhibits and summarized findings for the museum trustee meeting. I also wrote press releases, articles for a museum member newsletter, and blog posts for the museum’s website. I was able to experience the editing and approval process and became a better writer as a result. My art history classes at Grove City prepared me for this internship. My writing was richer because I learned to look at the art and not just the biography of the artist.

1. Do you have any advice for students who are looking for internships?

Apply everywhere even if you feel like you are under-qualified. They might not know what they are looking for until they talk to you. I interned with other college students who had art majors from large universities. I may not have seemed as qualified on paper, but Grove City College enabled me to receive a well-rounded education in business and art that prepared me to excel. Also, don’t be afraid to take an unpaid internship, the experience is worth it. My curatorial internship was unpaid which is common in the non-profit world, but the experience was definitely worth it.

1. What was your favorite part of your internship?

My favorite part of my internship experience was the meaningful work I was given. My research went directly to affect acquisition decisions. I also was able to attend meetings with the directors and get a behind the scenes look at how museums are run.

1. How will your internship experience serve you in your career search?

My internship gave me experience in a museum and now I have a greater appreciation for the logistics and planning that goes into running a museum. I valued how the internship merged my marketing major and my art minor. I do not know what my future holds, but this internship experience equipped me with many skills that will serve me in whatever career I end up pursuing.