How To Get Involved on Campus

There is no shortage of clubs, organizations, and ministries to get involved with on Grove City College’s campus. Whether it is Greek life, sports, theater, or ministry, there are dozens of organizations to fill your time with. As a senior I have had the privilege of being involved with a variety of organizations on campus. They have all shaped my time at Grove City in different ways and have each given me memories that I will always hold dear. With so many things to get involved with, how are incoming freshmen suppose to choose just a few? It can be overwhelming narrowing down your options and figuring out what is the best fit for you. When deciding what you will get involved with, I believe it is helpful to ask yourself two questions. First, are you passionate about it? Second, are you willing to invest time in it? My sophomore year I got involved with an organization that I was not only extremely passionate about but that I was willing to invest time in. That organization was Young Life.

IMG_1464 16601784_1229209720467228_1079594121912700437_o

Young Life is an national organization whose mission is to introduce adolescents to Jesus Christ and help them grow in their faith. The organization recruits volunteer leaders to go to high school and middle schools to meet teenagers and to invest in their lives both in and outside the walls of the schools.

When deciding where you want to get involved on campus look for something that you are passionate about. When I went to an info meeting about Young Life my sophomore year and heard the ministry’s mission, I knew I was passionate about it. The mission was one that excited me and motivated me. It was a mission that aligned with my values and something that I could get behind. Young Life was fun and fulfilling because it was something that allowed me to use my abilities for God’s glory and to do so along other people that were just as passionate as I was.

IMG_7472If you love sports, play intramurals or try out for a varsity team. If you are passionate about music, find people that love music. If you are passionate about social justice, get involved with International Justice Mission. Find people who share your passions, motivations, and desires. Find people who will spur you on to bigger and greater things within your passions.

Another question to ask yourself when choosing where to get involved is, am I willing to invest my time?

Being a part of Young Life has required me to invest time. I spend time during the week meeting with my team to plan events and pray. I also spend hours each week hanging out with the middle schoolers that I know through the ministry. Because I am willing to invest time in this ministry I have built an amazing community of friends and have had an impact in the work that I am doing.

It can be easy to participate in clubs and organizations half-heartedly. As school gets busy and social engagements compete for your time, attending organization meetings and activities can lose priority. My suggestion is to make IMG_0413investment a priority. It sounds cliche, but you will only get out what you put in. Reserve time in your schedule for investing in the club or activity you’ve chosen to be a part of. When you invest, you show other members that you care about the success of the group. You also give yourself the chance to form a strong community and lifelong memories.

When you arrive at Grove City College, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the many ways you can get involved. It will be tempting to commit yourself to four or five organizations. However, you will quickly find that adding this much activity into a full course load and growing social life can be difficult, stressful, and even unhealthy. Perhaps choose one or two organizations to get involved with. Find something that your are passionate about and willing to invest time in. If you do this, then at the end of your four years, you will be able to look back at the impact you had, the lessons you learned, and the community you made.