perry

Student Internship Spotlight | John Perry

John Perry is a senior Finance major with a minor in Accounting. He is from Vienna, Va. John is a member of the housing group Sigma Phi Omicron while at the same time a member of Delta Mu Delta Honors Society. John’s internship took place in the summer of 2018. The following is the Q&A session that I held with John Perry pertaining to his internship experience. This Q&A provides some insight on an internship for a Finance major.

Where did you intern?

Ryan Homes

What was your position?

Home Production Intern

Tell me a little bit about your experience? Likes/ Dislikes?

I loved the job. It was very hands on and interactive. They helped me along in the beginning in order to learn the home building cycle and process, but after that they let me take off and do the work independently. I managed subcontractors, met with inspectors and home owners, and was allowed to run the construction site on my own for two weeks. I can honestly say I have never learned so much in one summer. It was challenging, but I honestly believe the best way to learn is to do the task itself and I learned the ins and outs of the home building process and subcontractor relationships through experience. Running the site was the most fun I had because I got to shoulder all the responsibility while also feeling like I knew what I was doing and got to put it in to practice. The only dislike I had was that some days they didn’t have a ton for me to do, but I quickly learned I could walk the site on my own and learn by talking to the builders.

What skills did you learn?

I learned how to run a construction site on my own, which taught me how to handle a lot of responsibility. I learned the ins and outs of the home building process.

In what ways did Grove City College help prepare you for this internship?

Grove City taught me to work diligently and be proud of the results of hard work, a skill I practiced all summer. The college also helped me learn time management skills, which was a significant portion of my job.

Did Grove City College assist you in obtaining this internship?

Yes, I received this internship through the Grove City College Career Fair.

Upon closing out the Q&A with John, I talked to him more about what life after college looks like for him. John has received a job offer from this internship but is currently exploring his options within the finance field. In exploring his options John has been fiercely interviewing with many companies trying to find not just a job offer but a workplace which can challenge him and make a career for himself.