Move-in Day: Tips and Tricks

Memorial Hall, a men’s freshman dorm, and my first campus home

Nothing is more anxiety-inducing to some students than move-in day. Not only are you going to meet a whole swath of new people and make new friends, you have a lot to remember, a lot to do, and oftentimes not a ton of time to do it. This post contains a few helpful tips that might make your move in day just a little smoother.

1. Organize before you get there: If you are arriving with 15 boxes of assorted belongings, moving in is going to be difficult. It would be much easier to have a box of school supplies, a box of cords and cables, a box of shoes and coats, and so on. This will help you prioritize what needs to get unpacked so that you can make it to all of your orientation activities, and it will help you keep track of how much stuff you are actually bringing.
  2. When in doubt, leave it out. Many times students arrive at college with things they will not ever need want or miss. College is not high school, and maybe you do not need all three skateboards that you keep at home. You might consider bringing your summer and fall clothes, and then switching your shorts out for coats when you go home for Thanksgiving. This helps you consolidate what you have to bring that first semester, takes pressure off of your overstuffed closet, and declutters your move out.
  3. Coordinate with your roommate. Nothing is less useful than a second area rug. If you and your roommate both bring the same shared item, one of you is left returning, tossing, or shipping something home. Coordinate with your roommate about things such as furniture, rugs, or lamps.
  4. Try and find out the dimensions of your room. Before I came to school I was able to ask my admissions counselor the dimensions of my room. This helped me to know that I would not have room for that futon out of my parents’ basement, and that I should slim down my list of things to bring so as to have room to walk around in my room. Bringing too much stuff is just as annoying as not bringing enough stuff, so know where you are moving and pack accordingly. Now, students can take virtual tours of buildingsĀ here.

Move-in day may be one of the most stressful, but it is also one of the most fun days of college. Between Orientation Board (OB activities), new friends on your hall, and new routines, there are a lot of things to keep track of but even more to be excited about!