Experience with Sororities at College

When it comes to meeting people and making friends at college, a lot of people immediately think of joining a sorority or a fraternity. At big schools, many people join groups to find or meet friends but everyone has a different reason. Being at a small school like Grove City College, not only are you here academically, but socially and spiritually. My faith is an important part of my life and was one of the reasons I decided to join a sorority.

Rushing a sorority can be very intense and time-consuming, but it is all in the way you look at it. The best way to approach rush is having a positive mindset and thinking that you are going to meet new people and form a friendship with them. If you meet people in a group and become friends with them because they are in that specific group, you will not have a long-lasting friendship. Take it from me. I rushed my freshman year and did not get into the group I was rushing, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I spent time figuring out who I was and what I was looking for in a group. I decided to try rushing sororities again and look at different groups, which led me to find a great group of girls who I became genuine friends with. Rush can be tiring, difficult, and time-consuming but it is worth it if you find a group of friends you can be yourself around.

For me, being in a sorority was more than being part of something on campus. It is being surrounded by a group of your peers who love the Lord and will push you in your faith, and who love you and will always be there for you. Not only do you get to know people in your class, but you look up to seniors and get to know them and get advice and wisdom from them. For some people, sororities and fraternities can be seen as being “exclusive” and “cliquey” but once you get to know all of the people in those groups, you come to find that they are great people.

Joining a group might not be for everyone, but my best piece of advice is to try it. You may not join a group but you get to know people on campus and become friends with them. As my parents always say, “What’s the worst that can happen?” You do not like the groups; you do not have to join it. Try something new! Get out of your comfort zone! Meet new people!