Behind the Scenes: The Unexpected

The Unexpected

A friend and incoming freshman recently asked me a great question: What surprised you about Grove City College? Or in other words, what did you not expect and how did you adjust?

No matter your level of preparedness, you will experience a learning curve when moving to a new place. Grove City is no exception. Though there’s a sense of adventure in the unexpected, I’ve come up with a few things to keep in mind (just to help that transition run a little smoother)!

1. The Weather

Grove City weather is a wonder in itself. You’ll experience every season quite thoroughly and certainly want to be prepared.

During the winter months we experience quite a bit of snow, so you’ll want to invest in warmth: a coat, snow boots, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. I promise you that walking to class or downtown for coffee will be a lot more enjoyable with a few extra layers!

But fear not, spring does come! Rain boots and an umbrella are a must, but soon we’ll approach our summer weather and hanging out on the Quad, having class outside, going on a stream hike or playing Frisbee are essential.

2. The Community

All of our students are required to live on campus (with the exception of local commuters) and it adds to a fantastic sense of community! One of my favorite aspects of living at Grove City College is knowing that I have a family away from home. I certainly did not expect to find such a beautiful community, but I treasure its gift to my life!

3. The Need for Time Management

Grove City offers an abundance of opportunities for extracurricular activities, ministries and fun! Freshman year is often a time for students to develop good time management habits. Getting involved on campus is a great way to integrate yourself within the student body, but it does require some organization.

I did not quite understand how essential it was to create good habits early on, but I would certainly recommend it to any new college student. I promise it will make life a lot more enjoyable throughout your four years and allow you to truly get everything out of your experience.

4. The Intentionality

Coming from a large public school, I was not expecting how personable the staff, professors and administration would be during my time here. I was immediately blown away by their ability to remember my name and evident passion for our success.

I’ve had professors invite my class to dinner at their home, vouch for me in the job search and grab coffee with me just to ask about life.

You are certainly not alone on this campus and it’s quite reassuring to know!

5. Spiritual Growth

Before coming to GCC, I knew that it was a Christian college. However, I did not expect how much I would be encouraged and challenged to grow in my faith. Yes, it is “Christian” by name and we offer countless opportunities to be involved in ministry, but it is so much more than that. Friends, professors, and staff inspire me to pursue Christ in a vibrant and deeply genuine way. Though we come from various walks of faith, I have found unity within the body. We’re all learning and growing, but we recognize the value in doing it together. And for that, I am forever grateful.

All the best 🙂